Are you looking for low-cost Chevy Uplander insurance in Chicago? Are you burned out from scraping the payment together to keep your car insured? You are no different than the majority of other drivers in Illinois.
A recent survey discovered that the vast majority of auto insurance customers kept their coverage with the same auto insurance company for more than four years, and nearly the majority have never taken the time to shop around. Many consumers in Chicago could save almost 40% each year, but they just don't understand the actual amount they would save if they replace their high priced policy. With so many auto insurance companies to choose from, it can be hard to choose the best insurer.
How Your Uplander Insurance Rates are Determined
Lots of things are part of the calculation when you get your auto insurance bill. Some are obvious like a motor vehicle report, but other criteria are less obvious such as whether you are married or your vehicle rating.
The factors shown below are some of the major factors used by your company to calculate rates.
- Don't buy incidental coverages that aren't used - Policies have additional coverages that you can get tricked into buying on your Uplander policy. Coverage for things like rental car coverage, death and dismemberment, and extra life insurance coverage could be just wasting money. You may think they are a good idea when discussing your needs, but if you don't need them remove them from your policy.
- Don't let your coverage lapse - Driving any period of time without insurance is a misdemeanor and companies may charge more for letting your coverage cancel without a new policy in place. Not only will rates go up, not being able to provide proof of insurance may earn you a steep fine or even jail time. You may then have to file a SR-22 with the Illinois department of motor vehicles.
- When should you file a policy claims? - If you are the type of insured that files lots of claims you can expect higher premiums or even policy non-renewal. Insurance companies in Illinois award the best rates to policyholders who are not frequent claim filers. Auto insurance is intended to be relied upon for the large, substantial claims.
- Better auto insurance rates on safer vehicles - Safer cars tend to have lower insurance rates. Vehicles engineered for safety reduce the chance of injuries and any reduction in injury severity means less money paid by your insurance company and cheaper rates on your policy.
- More traffic equals higher premiums - Choosing to live in small towns and rural areas can save you money if you are looking for the lowest rates. Fewer drivers and short commutes means fewer accidents and also fewer theft and vandalism claims. Drivers in populated Illinois areas tend to have much more traffic and higher rates of accident claims. More time behind the wheel means a statistically higher chance of an accident.
- Deter car thieves - Choosing a vehicle that has a built-in theft deterrent system can help lower your premiums. Anti-theft features such as OnStar found on GM vehicles, advanced tracking like LoJack, and vehicle immobilization systems all help stop vehicle theft.
- Rates also based on gender - Over the last 30 years, statistics show women are more cautious behind the wheel. However, this does not mean females are better drivers. Males and females tend to get into auto accidents in similar percentages, but the male of the species cause more damage. Not only that, but men also get higher numbers of serious violations like reckless driving and DUI. Male drivers age 16 to 19 tend to get in the most accidents and thus pay the highest rates.
- Performance affects insurance costs - The type of car you need insurance for makes a huge difference in the rate you pay. The lowest premiums will normally be found when insuring lower cost passenger vehicles, but the final cost of insurance is determined by many other factors. Since the Chevrolet Uplander falls in the van and minivan class, insuring your vehicle will cost similar in price compared to average rates in Chicago.
All the larger auto insurance companies like State Farm, Allstate and GEICO allow consumers to get coverage prices from their websites. Doing online price comparisons for Chevy Uplander insurance in Chicago is quite simple because it's just a matter of typing in the coverages you want into the form. After you complete the form, the company's rating system gets your driving record and credit report and generates a price based on the data you entered. Getting online rate quotes for Chevy Uplander insurance in Chicago simplifies rate comparisons, and it is important to perform this step in order to find the best rate on auto insurance.
To fill out one form to compare multiple rates now, visit the companies below or click here to submit a quote request to multiple companies at once. If you currently have coverage, we recommend you input your coverages identical to your current policy. This makes sure you will be getting a rate comparison based on similar coverages.
The companies shown below are ready to provide price quotes in Illinois. If more than one company is shown, we suggest you visit two to three different companies in order to find the lowest rates.
Insuring your Chevy Uplander just makes sense
Despite the high cost, insuring your vehicle serves an important purpose.
- Most states have compulsory liability insurance requirements which means you are required to buy a specific level of liability coverage if you want to drive legally. In Illinois these limits are 20/40/15 which means you must have $20,000 of bodily injury coverage per person, $40,000 of bodily injury coverage per accident, and $15,000 of property damage coverage.
- If your Chevy has a loan, almost all lenders will stipulate that you have full coverage to guarantee loan repayment. If you cancel or allow the policy to lapse, the bank may insure your Chevy at a much higher rate and require you to reimburse them for the expensive policy.
- Insurance protects both your assets and your car. It also can pay for medical bills for not only you but also any passengers injured in an accident. Liability coverage, the one required by state law, will also pay to defend you if someone files suit against you as the result of an accident. If damage is caused by hail or an accident, your insurance policy will pay to restore your vehicle to like-new condition.
The benefits of buying insurance are without a doubt worth the cost, especially with large liability claims. As of last year, the average driver in Illinois is overpaying more than $750 every year so you should quote your policy with other companies every year to ensure rates are competitive.
Discounts can help lower premiums on Chevy Uplander insurance in Chicago
Some companies don't always publicize all discounts in an easy-to-find place, so the list below details some of the best known in addition to some of the lesser obvious discounts that you may qualify for.
- Responsible Driver Discounts - Drivers who avoid accidents can save as much as half off their rates compared to accident prone drivers.
- Accident Waiver - Not really a discount, but a few companies such as State Farm, Progressive and GEICO will let one accident slide without raising rates with the catch being you have to be claim-free prior to the accident.
- Clubs and Organizations - Having an affiliation with qualifying clubs or civic groups could qualify you for a break when shopping for car insurance.
- Defensive Driver Discount - Taking part in a class that teaches defensive driving techniques can save you 5% or more depending on where you live.
- Sign Online - Some of the larger companies will provide an incentive for completing your application over the internet.
Discounts reduce rates, but you should keep in mind that most credits do not apply to the overall cost of the policy. Most only reduce the cost of specific coverages such as comp or med pay. Even though it appears it's possible to get free car insurance, nobody gets a free ride. But all discounts will lower your car insurance premiums.
Popular car insurance companies and the discounts they provide are included below.
- American Family offers discounts including air bags, TimeAway discount, mySafetyValet, defensive driver, and accident-free.
- Farm Bureau may offer discounts for good student, 55 and retired, multi-policy, youthful driver, safe driver, renewal discount, and multi-vehicle.
- State Farm offers discounts for defensive driving training, Drive Safe & Save, safe vehicle, anti-theft, and passive restraint.
- Travelers includes discounts for payment discounts, driver training, multi-policy, continuous insurance, and early quote.
- The Hartford policyholders can earn discounts including bundle, vehicle fuel type, good student, defensive driver, and anti-theft.
- GEICO discounts include air bags, daytime running lights, good student, seat belt use, multi-vehicle, anti-lock brakes, and emergency military deployment.
- Progressive may have discounts that include multi-policy, good student, online quote discount, online signing, and homeowner.
Check with every company which discounts you may be entitled to. Some of the earlier mentioned discounts may not be available in your area. To see insurers that can offer you the previously mentioned discounts in Chicago, click here.
Local Chicago insurance agents
Many drivers still like to go talk to an agent and that can be a great decision Most agents can answer important questions and give you someone to call. The biggest benefit of getting free rate quotes online is that drivers can save money and get the lowest rates and still have a local agent. Supporting local insurance agents is important especially in Chicago.
To make it easy to find an agent, after completing this form (opens in new window), your insurance coverage information is transmitted to insurance agents in Chicago that can provide free Chicago car insurance quotes for your business. You don't have to even leave your home since price quotes are sent directly to your email. If you wish to get a rate quote from a particular provider, just visit that company's website and submit a quote form there.
What types of car insurance agents are in Chicago?
When narrowing the list to find a reliable insurance agent, it helps to know the two types of agencies and how they work. Auto insurance agents can be classified as either independent or exclusive depending on the company they work for. Both types of agents can sell affordable auto insurance policies, but it is important to understand the difference between them since it may influence which agent you choose.
Independent Insurance Agents
Agents of this type are not employed by any specific company so they can write business with any number of different companies depending on which coverage is best. If prices rise, your agent can just switch to a different company and you don't have to switch agencies.
When comparing auto insurance prices, you will definitely want to include price quotes from a couple of independent agencies for the best price selection.
Shown below is a partial list of independent insurance agencies in Chicago who can help you get free auto insurance rate quotes.
Agents that elect to be exclusive work for only one company like Allstate, AAA, Farmers Insurance, and State Farm. Exclusive agents cannot give you multiple price quotes so they really need to provide good service. Exclusive agencies are usually well trained on the products they sell and that enables them to sell even at higher rates.
Listed below is a short list of exclusive agents in Chicago that are able to give rate quotes.
Deciding on a auto insurance agent needs to be determined by more than just the quoted price. Ask your prospective agent these questions:
- Can you use your own choice of collision repair facility?
- Is the agency active in community causes in Chicago?
- Is the agency covered by Errors and Omissions coverage?
- Does the company use OEM repair parts?
- Are they able to provide referrals?
- Do they prorate repair cost based on vehicle mileage?
- If independent agents, which companies do they recommend?
- Which insurance company do they prefer to write with?
When in doubt talk to an agent
When it comes to buying adequate coverage for your personal vehicles, there is no one size fits all plan. Each situation is unique.
These are some specific questions could help you determine whether you might need professional guidance.
- Will damage be repaired with OEM parts?
- Can I afford to buy a different vehicle if my Chevy Uplander is totaled?
- Is there coverage for my trailer?
- Does insurance cover damages from a DUI accident?
- Is my state a no-fault state?
- What is the difference between personal and commercial auto insurance policies?
- Is my dog or cat covered if injured in an accident?
- What is motorclub and do I need it?
- Am I insured when driving a different vehicle?
- Is my business laptop covered if it gets stolen from my vehicle?
If you're not sure about those questions but a few of them apply, you may need to chat with an agent. If you want to speak to an agent in your area, complete this form. It is quick, free and can provide invaluable advice.
Persistence will pay off
We just covered a lot of techniques to lower your Chevy Uplander insurance rates in Chicago. It's most important to understand that the more quotes you get, the better your comparison will be. Drivers may even discover the most savings is with a small local company.
When shopping online for insurance, make sure you don't skimp on critical coverages to save a buck or two. In many instances, an insured dropped full coverage to discover at claim time that it was a big mistake. The aim is to buy enough coverage for the lowest price and still be able to protect your assets.
There are still a few companies who may not provide price quotes online and these regional carriers prefer to sell through independent insurance agents. The cheapest Chevy Uplander insurance in Chicago is possible on the web in addition to local insurance agencies, so you need to compare both to have the best rate selection.
Additional insurance information can be found at these links:
- Distracted Driving Extends Beyond Texting (State Farm)
- Who Has Affordable Chicago Auto Insurance for a Honda CR-V? (FAQ)
- Who Has Affordable Auto Insurance Rates for a Ford Escape in Chicago? (FAQ)
- Who Has Affordable Chicago Auto Insurance Quotes for a Toyota RAV4? (FAQ)
- Who Has Affordable Chicago Auto Insurance for Drivers with Good Credit? (FAQ)
- How to Avoid Staged Accidents (State Farm)
- What does Personal Injury Protection (PIP) Cover? (Allstate)
- Things to Know Before you Cancel Insurance (Allstate)
- Choosing an Insurance Company (Insurance Information Institute)