Expensive car insurance in Chicago can sap your accounts and force you to make tough financial choices. Price shopping at each renewal is recommended to lower your monthly bill.
Unbelievable but true according to a study 70% of consumers renewed their policy with the same company for a minimum of four years, and just short of a majority have never compared car insurance rates at all. Many drivers in Illinois could save nearly $600 each year just by getting comparison quotes, but they think it’s difficult to find cheaper car insurance rates.
Multiple insurers compete for your hard-earned dollar, and because of this it can be hard to compare insurance companies and get the best coverage at the best rates possible on Acura ILX insurance in Chicago.
It’s smart to compare premium rates quite often because prices are adjusted regularly by insurance companies. Just because you found the best price on Acura ILX insurance in Chicago a couple years back you may be paying too much now. You’ll find a ton of advice on ILX insurance online, but I’m going to show you some great ideas on how to slash your car insurance rates in Chicago.
Cheap Acura insurance rates in Chicago
The companies shown below are ready to provide quotes in Illinois. If more than one company is shown, it’s a good idea that you visit two to three different companies to find the most affordable car insurance rates.
Get cheaper Acura ILX insurance in Chicago with discounts
Car insurance is not cheap, but you might find some hidden discounts that many consumers don’t even know exist. Some of these discounts will be visible at the time you complete a quote, but occasionally some discounts must be specially asked for in order for you to get them.
- ABS and Traction Control Discounts – Cars and trucks with ABS braking systems or traction control can stop better under adverse conditions and therefore earn up to a 10% discount.
- Student Driver Training – Have your child enroll in driver’s education if offered at their school.
- Bundled Policy Discount – If you insure your home and vehicles and place coverage with the same company you could earn a discount of at least 10% off all policies.
- Buy New and Save – Adding a new car to your policy is cheaper since newer vehicles have better safety ratings.
- No Accidents – Drivers who don’t have accidents can save substantially in comparison to drivers with a long claim history.
- Discount for Low Mileage – Low mileage vehicles could earn substantially lower rates.
- Discount for Passive Restraints – Vehicles equipped with air bags may get savings of more than 20%.
- Seat Belts Save – Drivers who require all occupants to buckle their seat belts can save 10% or more off PIP or medical payments premium.
- Waiver for an Accident – Not necessarily a discount, but a few companies such as State Farm and GEICO will let one accident slide without raising rates if you are claim-free for a particular time prior to the accident.
- Onboard Data Collection – Policyholders that allow data collection to look at driving manner by using a small device installed in their vehicle such as State Farm’s In-Drive could see a rate decrease as long as the data is positive.
Please keep in mind that most discounts do not apply to the entire cost. Some only reduce individual premiums such as physical damage coverage or medical payments. Even though it appears you can get free auto insurance, nobody gets a free ride.
Larger car insurance companies and the discounts they provide are included below.
- Mercury Insurance offers discounts including type of vehicle, age of vehicle, good driver, anti-theft, and accident-free.
- Farmers Insurance discounts include youthful driver, multi-car, homeowner, switch companies, teen driver, and early shopping.
- Farm Bureau offers premium reductions for youthful driver, driver training, multi-policy, 55 and retired, and multi-vehicle.
- State Farm has discounts for accident-free, good driver, passive restraint, Drive Safe & Save, safe vehicle, and anti-theft.
- Allstate includes discounts for 55 and retired, early signing, utility vehicle, premier plus, anti-theft, and FullPay discount.
- GEICO policyholders can earn discounts including anti-lock brakes, good student, driver training, five-year accident-free, emergency military deployment, multi-policy, and air bags.
Double check with each company or agent which discounts can lower your rates. Some credits might not be offered in Chicago. If you would like to choose from a list of car insurance companies who offer online Acura ILX insurance quotes in Illinois, click this link.
When to get advice from a local insurance agent
Many drivers still like to go talk to an agent and that is OK! One of the benefits of comparing rates online is that you can obtain cheap auto insurance rates but also keep your business local. Supporting small agencies is especially important in Chicago.
To help locate an agent, after submitting this form (opens in new window), your information is transmitted to participating agents in Chicago that provide free Chicago car insurance quotes for your auto insurance coverage. There is no need to leave your computer as quotes are delivered straight to your inbox. You’ll get the best rates and a licensed agent to work with. If you have a need to get a rate quote from a specific auto insurance provider, you can always search and find their rate quote page and submit a quote form there.
If you need to find local Chicago agents, you should know the different types of agencies and how they differ in how they can insure your vehicles. Auto insurance agents in Chicago are categorized either exclusive or independent (non-exclusive).
These agents can quote rates with many companies so they can insure your vehicles with any number of different companies and find you cheaper rates. If you want to switch companies, your agent can switch companies and that require little work on your part.
When comparing auto insurance rates, we highly recommend that you include rate quotes from at a minimum one independent agency in order to have the best price comparison.
Shown below is a small list of independent insurance agencies in Chicago that may be able to give pricing information.
Exclusive Insurance Agents
These type of agents can only provide pricing for a single company and examples are Farmers Insurance, State Farm, or Allstate. Exclusive agents cannot provide prices from multiple companies so they have to upsell other benefits. These agents are well trained on what they offer and that allows them to sell at a higher price point.
Shown below is a short list of exclusive agencies in Chicago that are able to give price quotes.
Picking a insurance agent needs to be determined by more than just a cheap price quote. Before buying a policy in Chicago, get answers to these questions.
- How experienced are they in personal risk management?
- Do they specialize in personal lines auto insurance in Chicago?
- What company do they have the most business with?
- Will they take your side in the event of a claim?
- Do you qualify for any additional discounts?
- How will an accident affect your rates?
- How often do they review policy coverages?
- Do they prorate repair cost based on vehicle mileage?
Cheaper insurance is out there
Cheap Acura ILX insurance in Chicago is possible both online and with local Chicago insurance agents, and you should compare price quotes from both in order to have the best chance of saving money. There are still a few companies who do not provide price quotes online and most of the time these regional insurance providers work with local independent agencies.
As you quote Chicago car insurance, it’s a bad idea to skimp on critical coverages to save a buck or two. In many cases, an insured dropped full coverage only to regret that the few dollars in savings costed them thousands. Your aim should be to buy enough coverage at a price you can afford.
Even more information can be read by following these links:
- Steps to Take After an Auto Accident (Insurance Information Institute)
- Who Has the Cheapest Car Insurance Quotes for Felons in Chicago? (FAQ)
- How Much are Car Insurance Rates for Drivers Requiring a SR22 in Chicago? (FAQ)
- Who Has Cheap Auto Insurance for Teenage Females in Chicago? (FAQ)
- Who Has the Cheapest Auto Insurance for Active Military in Chicago? (FAQ)
- Who Has Cheap Car Insurance for Uber Drivers in Chicago? (FAQ)
- Who Has Cheap Auto Insurance Quotes for Drivers with Bad Credit in Chicago? (FAQ)
- Who Has Cheap Car Insurance for a Honda Civic in Chicago? (FAQ)
- Understanding Your Insurance Deductible (Insurance Information Institute)
- Safety Belts FAQ (iihs.org)
- Avoiding Deer Collisions (Insurance Information Institute)