Want to know how to find cheaper Hyundai Sonata insurance in Chicago? Wish you could get out of an overpriced car insurance policy? It’s a common feeling and many consumers are feeling buyer’s remorse and feel like there’s no way out.
It’s hard to believe, but nearly 70% of consumers renewed their policy with the same company for more than four years, and about 40% of consumers have never even compared quotes to find cheaper rates. With the average premium in Illinois being $1,500, drivers could save almost 40% a year just by getting comparison quotes, but they don’t understand how simple it is to save money by comparing rate quotes. Companies like State Farm, Allstate, GEICO and Progressive increase brand awareness with ad campaigns and it is difficult to avoid their marketing magic and find the best price available.
Cheap Chicago Hyundai Sonata insurance
Finding a lower price on Hyundai Sonata insurance is an easy way to save money. Drivers just need to take the time comparing rate quotes to find out which insurance company has cheaper Chicago car insurance quotes.
Comparing rates online is fast and free, and it makes it obsolete to go to local Chicago insurance agencies. Buying insurance online eliminates the middleman unless you have a need for the trained guidance that only a licensed agent can provide. Drivers can compare the best prices online but have a local agent actually write the policy.
The providers in the list below are our best choices to provide comparison quotes in Illinois. If the list has multiple companies, it’s highly recommended you visit several of them to get the most competitive price.
|Model||Comp||Collision||Liability||Medical||UM/UIM||Annual Premium||Monthly Premium|
|Sonata GLS 4-Dr Sedan||$98||$182||$284||$16||$84||$664||$55|
|Sonata GLS 4-Dr Sedan||$224||$406||$294||$18||$88||$1,030||$86|
|Sonata GLS 4-Dr Sedan||$96||$178||$278||$16||$84||$652||$54|
|Sonata SE 4-Dr Sedan||$218||$468||$300||$18||$90||$1,094||$91|
|Sonata SE 4-Dr Sedan||$256||$478||$386||$22||$116||$1,258||$105|
|Sonata Limited 4-Dr Sedan||$282||$588||$398||$24||$120||$1,412||$118|
|Sonata Limited 4-Dr Sedan||$196||$392||$310||$18||$92||$1,008||$84|
|Get Your Own Custom Quote Go|
Data based on married female driver age 40, no speeding tickets, no at-fault accidents, $250 deductibles, and Illinois minimum liability limits. Discounts applied include multi-policy, homeowner, claim-free, multi-vehicle, and safe-driver. Rates do not factor in specific Chicago garaging location which can decrease or increase insurance rates considerably.
Hyundai Sonata liability rates compared to full coverage
The information below illustrates the comparison of Hyundai Sonata auto insurance rates when comparing full coverage to state minimum liability only. The price estimates are based on no violations or accidents, $500 deductibles, married male driver, and no policy discounts are applied.
When to stop buying comprehensive and collision coverage
There is no clear-cut rule to stop buying physical damage insurance, but there is a general school of thought. If the yearly cost for physical damage coverage is more than around 10% of the vehicle’s replacement cost less your deductible, then you might consider buying liability only.
For example, let’s assume your Hyundai Sonata claim settlement value is $8,000 and you have $1,000 policy deductibles. If your vehicle is totaled in an accident, the most your company would pay you is $7,000 after paying your deductible. If you are paying more than $700 a year to have full coverage, then you might want to think about dropping full coverage.
There are some cases where only buying liability is not financially feasible. If you still owe money on your vehicle, you have to maintain full coverage in order to prevent your loan from defaulting. Also, if your finances do not allow you to purchase a different vehicle if your current one is damaged, you should not opt for liability only.
Auto insurance premiums based on gender
The example below compares Hyundai Sonata insurance costs for male and female drivers. The price estimates are based on no violations or claims, full physical damage coverage, $250 deductibles, drivers are single, and no discounts are factored in.
Choosing the best Hyundai Sonata insurance in Illinois is an important decision
Even though it can be expensive, maintaining insurance may be mandatory for several reasons.
- Almost all states have compulsory liability insurance requirements which means you are required to buy a specific level of liability insurance in order to license the vehicle. In Illinois these limits are 20/40/15 which means you must have $20,000 of bodily injury coverage per person, $40,000 of bodily injury coverage per accident, and $15,000 of property damage coverage.
- If you have a lien on your vehicle, more than likely the lender will make it mandatory that you buy full coverage to ensure the loan is repaid in case of a total loss. If you default on your policy, the bank will be required to insure your Hyundai at a much higher rate and force you to pay for the expensive policy.
- Insurance protects not only your vehicle but also your financial assets. It also can pay for many types of medical costs for both you and anyone you injure as the result of an accident. Liability insurance, one of your policy coverages, also covers legal expenses if you are named as a defendant in an auto accident. If your Hyundai gets damaged, collision and comprehensive coverages will pay to repair the damage minus the deductible amount.
The benefits of insuring your Sonata definitely exceed the price paid, particularly if you ever have a claim. As of last year, the average driver in Illinois overpays more than $830 a year so shop around at least once a year to ensure rates are inline.
Be skeptical of insurance ads
Consumers in Illinois can’t escape the ads that promise big savings from the likes of Allstate, GEICO and Progressive. All the ads make an identical promise of big savings if you switch to their company.
How do they all charge lower premium rates? It’s all in the wording.
Different companies provide the lowest rates for the type of insured that will not have excessive claims. For instance, a driver they prefer could possibly be over the age of 50, has no prior claims, and has a high credit rating. A driver that hits that “sweet spot” will get low rates and therefore will save money with a new company.
Potential insureds who do not fit those criteria will see a more expensive rate with the end result being the customer not buying. The ad wording is “customers who switch” not “everyone that quotes” save that kind of money. That’s the way companies can advertise the way they do.
This really emphasizes why you need to compare many company’s car insurance rates. It’s impossible to know which insurance company will have the lowest rates for your situation.
Cheaper Chicago auto insurance rates with discounts
Companies don’t always advertise the entire discount list very well, so the list below details both the well known and the harder-to-find credits that you can use to lower your rates.
- Government Employee Discount – Active or former government employment could provide a small rate reduction with certain companies.
- Defensive Driver Discounts – Participating in a defensive driver course could possibly earn you a 5% discount if your company offers it.
- Senior Citizen Rates – Drivers over the age of 55 can get reduced rates.
- Discount for New Cars – Adding a new car to your policy is cheaper since new model year vehicles are generally safer.
- Resident Student – Any of your kids who are enrolled in higher education away from home and do not have access to a covered vehicle could qualify for this discount.
Don’t be surprised that most credits do not apply to the whole policy. Some only apply to the price of certain insurance coverages like comprehensive or collision. If you do the math and it seems like you can get free auto insurance, you won’t be that lucky. Any qualifying discounts will help lower the cost of coverage.
The best auto insurance companies and the discounts they provide are included below.
- GEICO discounts include anti-theft, federal employee, membership and employees, anti-lock brakes, and daytime running lights.
- Mercury Insurance may include discounts for location of vehicle, anti-theft, type of vehicle, multi-car, age of vehicle, and multi-policy.
- Farmers Insurance may offer discounts for early shopping, multi-car, business and professional, homeowner, youthful driver, switch companies, and electronic funds transfer.
- Auto-Owners Insurance has discounts for air bags, mature driver, student away at school, anti-theft, paid in full, and safe driver.
- Liberty Mutual may have discounts that include multi-policy, new vehicle discount, good student, hybrid vehicle, and safety features.
- SAFECO includes discounts for safe driver, anti-lock brakes, teen safe driver, homeowner, accident prevention training, multi-car, and drive less.
- Progressive offers discounts for online quote discount, good student, homeowner, online signing, continuous coverage, and multi-vehicle.
- USAA offers premium reductions for defensive driver, safe driver, vehicle storage, multi-vehicle, military installation, and annual mileage.
When quoting, ask each company or agent to apply every possible discount. Some credits might not be offered on policies in Chicago. For a list of auto insurance companies that have a full spectrum of discounts in Illinois, click here.
Exclusive versus independent insurance agents
Some consumers would prefer to have an agent’s advice. Most agents can help you choose the best coverages and help in the event of a claim. A good thing about comparing rates online is that you can find cheap auto insurance quotes and still have an agent to talk to. Buying insurance from small agencies is definitely important in Chicago.
Upon completion of this simple form, the quote information is instantly submitted to agents in your area who will give you quotes for your insurance coverage. You never need to search for any insurance agencies since rate quotes are delivered straight to your inbox. If you wish to compare prices from a particular provider, don’t hesitate to visit that company’s website to submit a rate quote request.
If you are wanting to find a reputable insurance agent or broker, you should know the different agency structures and how they are distinctly different. Agents in Chicago can be classified as either exclusive or independent (non-exclusive). Both types can do a good job, but it’s worth mentioning the difference in how they write coverage since it can affect your selection of an agent.
Independent insurance agents do not have single company limitations and that is an advantage because they can write policies through many companies depending on which coverage is best. If they quote lower rates, they simply move your policy to a different company and the insured can keep the same agent. If you are trying to find cheaper rates, we highly recommend that you compare quotes from a few independent agents so that you have a good selection of quotes to compare.
Shown below are independent insurance agencies in Chicago who may be able to give you price quote information.
KSA Insurance Agency
7158 W Grand Ave – Chicago, IL 60707 – (773) 804-9000 – View Map
Agents of this type work for only one company like Farmers Insurance, State Farm, Allstate, and AAA. These agents are unable to provide prices from multiple companies so they really need to provide good service. These agents are well trained in insurance sales and that enables them to sell even at higher rates.
Below are exclusive agents in Chicago that can give you price quote information.
Picking the best insurance agent should depend on more than just a cheap price. The questions below may impact your decision as well.
- Will the agent or a CSR service your policy?
- Did they already check your driving record and credit reports?
- Does the agent recommend any additional coverage?
- Where are claims handled?
- In the event of vehicle damage, can you pick the collision repair facility?
- How long has the business existed?
- Can glass repairs be made at your home?
If you feel you receive positive feedback to all your questions and a low price estimate, chances are good that you have found a car insurance agent that is reputable and can service your policy. Just be aware that it’s your coverage and you can cancel a policy when you choose so don’t think you’re contractually obligated to a specific agent for the full policy term.
You are unique and your insurance should be too
When quoting and comparing the best insurance coverage for your vehicles, there isn’t really a best way to insure your cars. Each situation is unique so your insurance should reflect that
Here are some questions about coverages that can aid in determining if you may require specific advice.
- Am I getting all the discounts available?
- When should I buy a commercial auto policy?
- What is an SR-22 filing?
- Am I covered if I have no license?
- Am I covered when pulling a rental trailer?
- What does roadside assistance cover?
- Am I covered if I crash into my own garage door?
- Is extra glass coverage worth it?
If you don’t know the answers to these questions but a few of them apply, then you may want to think about talking to a licensed insurance agent. To find an agent in your area, fill out this quick form or you can go here for a list of companies in your area. It’s fast, doesn’t cost anything and can help protect your family.
More comparisons equals cheap rates
As you quote Chicago car insurance, it’s not a good idea to reduce needed coverages to save money. There are many occasions where an insured dropped physical damage coverage only to regret at claim time they didn’t have enough coverage. The aim is to find the BEST coverage at a price you can afford while not skimping on critical coverages.
More affordable insurance in Chicago is definitely available both online as well as from independent agents in Chicago, so you need to shop Chicago car insurance with both to have the best rate selection. Some companies do not offer the ability to get quotes online and many times these regional carriers sell through independent insurance agents.
We just covered quite a bit of information on how to save on Hyundai Sonata insurance in Chicago. The key thing to remember is the more providers you compare, the higher your chance of finding low cost Chicago car insurance quotes. Drivers may even discover the most savings is with a lesser-known regional company. Regional companies may have significantly lower rates on certain market segments than their larger competitors like GEICO and State Farm.
Additional information is available at the links below
- Should I Buy a New or Used Car? (Allstate)
- Who Has Affordable Auto Insurance for Single Moms in Chicago? (FAQ)
- Who Has the Cheapest Car Insurance Rates for a Nissan Sentra in Chicago? (FAQ)
- Insurance losses by make and model (Insurance Institute for Highway Safety)
- Speed and Speed Limit FAQ (iihs.org)
- Higher speed limits cause more fatalities (Insurance Institute for Highway Safety)
- Child Safety Seats (Insurance Information Institute)