Locating low-cost insurance for a Chevy SS in Illinois can normally be a painful process, but you can learn a few tricks to find lower rates. There are both good and bad ways to buy insurance so you’re going to learn the absolute fastest way to compare rates for a new or used Chevy and get the lowest price either online or from Chicago insurance agents.
Consumers need to compare prices before your next renewal because insurance prices change quite often. Even if you think you had the best rates on Chevy SS insurance in Chicago last year you will most likely find a better rate quote today. You can find a lot of wrong information about SS insurance out there, but I’m going to show you some solid techniques on how to quit paying high insurance rates in Chicago.
If you are insured now or are looking for a new policy, follow these tips to cut your premiums while maximizing coverage. Pricing affordable coverage in Chicago can be fairly easy. Smart buyers just need to use how to buy insurance from many different companies.
Finding a better price on car insurance is actually quite simple. You just have to invest a few minutes to get quotes online with multiple companies.
The following companies are ready to provide comparison quotes in Chicago, IL. If multiple companies are shown, it’s a good idea that you click on several of them to get the most affordable price.
Best reasons to buy car insurance in Illinois
Despite the fact that car insurance is not cheap in Chicago, paying for car insurance is mandatory in Illinois but it also protects more than you think.
First, most states have mandatory insurance requirements which means you are required to buy specific minimum amounts of liability coverage in order to drive the car legally. In Illinois these limits are 20/40/15 which means you must have $20,000 of bodily injury coverage per person, $40,000 of bodily injury coverage per accident, and $15,000 of property damage coverage.
Second, if you bought your SS with a loan, most lenders will require that you have physical damage coverage to protect their interest in the vehicle. If you default on your policy, the bank will be required to insure your Chevy at an extremely high rate and make you pay for the expensive policy.
Third, insurance safeguards both your car and your personal assets. It will also cover medical transport and hospital expenses for not only you but also any passengers injured in an accident. One policy coverage, liability insurance, will also pay attorney fees if someone files suit against you as the result of an accident. If your vehicle suffers damage from an accident or hail, comprehensive (other-than-collision) and collision coverage will cover the damage repairs after a deductible is paid.
The benefits of having car insurance definitely exceed the price paid, especially when you need to use it. Despite what companies tell you, the average driver overpays more than $750 every year so shop around once a year at a minimum to save money.
Get discounts on Chicago insurance
Some insurers don’t always list all possible discounts very clearly, so the following is a list of a few of the more well known and the more hidden discounts you could be receiving when you buy Chicago car insurance online. If you aren’t receiving every discount available, you are just wasting money.
- Paper-free Discount – A few insurance companies will give you a small discount get Chicago car insurance digitally online.
- Theft Deterrent System – Vehicles equipped with tracking devices and advanced anti-theft systems are stolen less frequently and will qualify for a discount on a Chicago car insurance quote.
- Home Ownership Discount – Owning your own home or condo can earn you a little savings due to the fact that maintaining a home is proof that your finances are in order.
- Clubs and Organizations – Being in a qualifying organization could earn you a nice discount on your bill.
- Student Discounts – A discount for being a good student can get you a discount of up to 25%. You can use this discount normally up to age 25.
- Active Military Service – Having a family member in the military could qualify you for better premium rates.
- Early Payment Discounts – By making one initial payment rather than paying monthly you may have a lower total premium amount.
- Accident Forgiveness – This one is not really a discount per se, but companies like State Farm, Progressive and GEICO allow you one accident before hitting you with a surcharge so long as you are claim-free prior to being involved in the accident.
- ABS and Traction Control Discounts – Cars with anti-lock braking systems can reduce accidents and the ABS can save up to 10%.
- Seat Belt Discounts – Requiring all passengers to use their safety belts can save up to 15% on the premium charged for medical payments and/or PIP.
A little note about advertised discounts, many deductions do not apply to the entire cost. Most only reduce specific coverage prices like comp or med pay. So even though they make it sound like all those discounts means the company will pay you, insurance companies wouldn’t stay in business.
To see a list of insurance companies who offer discounts in Illinois, follow this link.
What if I want to buy from local Chicago insurance agencies?
Certain consumers still prefer to get professional advice from a licensed agent and that is not a bad decision Good insurance agents will help you protect your assets and help file insurance claims. One of the great benefits of comparing auto insurance online is that you can find the lowest rates and still choose a local agent.
To make it easy to find an agent, after completing this simple form, the coverage information is transmitted to participating agents in Chicago who will give you quotes for your insurance coverage. There is no reason to drive around since price quotes are sent directly to you. If you have a need to compare rates from a specific company, don’t hesitate to go to their quote page and complete a quote there.
Picking an insurance company should depend on more than just the premium amount. Before buying a policy in Chicago, get answers to these questions.
- Are all drivers listed on the coverage quote?
- Is there a Errors and Omissions policy in force?
- Do you work with a CSR or direct with the agent?
- Are there any hidden costs in their price quote and does it include driving and credit history?
- Is auto insurance their primary focus in Chicago?
Not all auto insurance agents are the same
If you want to buy auto insurance from a reputable agency, there are a couple of types of agencies and how they are distinctly different. Agents can be classified as either exclusive or independent agents depending on their company appointments. Either can sell affordable auto insurance policies, but we need to point out the differences because it may have an impact on the selection process.
Exclusive Auto Insurance Agencies
Agents of this type work for only one company and some examples include Farmers Insurance, State Farm, or Allstate. Exclusive agents cannot provide rate quotes from other companies so they have to upsell other benefits. Exclusive agencies are trained well on their company’s products and that can be a competitive advantage. A lot of people choose to use a exclusive agent primarily because of the brand and the convenience of having all coverages with one company.
Below are Chicago exclusive insurance agencies that can give you comparison quotes.
- Judith Gleason – State Farm Insurance Agent
2643 N Harlem Ave – Chicago, IL 60707 – (773) 637-8547 – View Map
- Dave Rundle – State Farm Insurance Agent
4316 W 63rd St – Chicago, IL 60629 – (773) 735-0135 – View Map
- Vivian Valtas – State Farm Insurance Agent
6108 S Archer Ave – Chicago, IL 60638 – (773) 582-3322 – View Map
Independent Auto Insurance Agencies
Agents of this type are not employed by one company so as a result can place your coverage with many different companies enabling the ability to shop coverage around. If prices rise, they simply switch companies in-house and the insured can keep the same agent.
When comparing rate quotes, you need to get rate quotes from several independent insurance agents so that you have a good selection of quotes to compare. They often place coverage with additional companies that you may not be familiar with who may have lower rates.
The following is a list of independent agencies in Chicago who can help you get comparison quotes.
- American Auto Insurance
3201 N Harlem Ave #1 – Chicago, IL 60634 – (773) 286-3500 – View Map
- AArdvark Insurance Agency
1228 W Wilson Ave – Chicago, IL 60640 – (773) 961-8781 – View Map
- Lakeview Insurance Agency, Ltd.
3438 N Southport Ave – Chicago, IL 60657 – (773) 871-8000 – View Map
After you get good answers as well as a price you’re happy with, it’s possible that you found an insurance agency that meets the requirements to service your policy. Just remember it’s your policy and you can cancel coverage when you choose so don’t think that you are permanently stuck with a specific agent with no way to switch.
How do I know if I need professional advice?
When choosing coverage, there really is not a “best” method to buy coverage. Your needs are not the same as everyone else’s.
Here are some questions about coverages that can help discover whether or not you could use an agent’s help.
- If I drive on a suspended license am I covered?
- Are my custom wheels covered?
- Why am I required to buy liability insurance?
- Do I need roadside assistance coverage?
- Who sells insurance for high-risk drivers?
- Am I covered if hit by an uninsured driver?
- Should I buy more coverage than the required Illinois minimum liability coverage?
- When would I need additional glass coverage?
If you can’t answer these questions but you know they apply to you, you may need to chat with an agent. To find an agent in your area, take a second and complete this form. It only takes a few minutes and can help protect your family.
The best insurance company isn’t always the cheapest
Consumers switch companies for a number of reasons such as lack of trust in their agent, poor customer service, questionable increases in premium or even not issuing a premium refund. Regardless of your reason for switching companies, finding a new company is pretty easy and you might even save some money in the process.
You just learned a lot of ways to compare Chevy SS insurance premium rates in Chicago. It’s most important to understand that the more rate comparisons you have, the higher the chance of saving money. Consumers may even find the best price on car insurance is with a small local company.
Discount Chevy SS insurance in Chicago is available from both online companies in addition to many Chicago insurance agents, and you should compare price quotes from both in order to have the best price selection to choose from. A few companies may not offer rates over the internet and these smaller companies prefer to sell through independent insurance agencies.
For more information, feel free to browse the articles below:
- Shopping for a Safe Car (Insurance Information Institute)
- Who Has the Cheapest Chicago Auto Insurance for a Chevrolet Silverado? (FAQ)
- How Much are Chicago Car Insurance Rates for Unemployed Drivers? (FAQ)
- What Auto Insurance is Cheapest for a Nissan Versa in Chicago? (FAQ)
- Car Insurance: When not to Skimp (BankRate.com)
- State Laws for Cellphones and Texting (iihs.org)