How long has it been since you shopped around for the cheapest Mazda 2 insurance in Chicago? Being forced to pay for pricey auto insurance premiums can bleed your personal savings and force you to prioritize other expenses.
A recent NerdWallet.com study revealed that a large majority of auto insurance policyholders kept their policy with the same company for over three years, and virtually 40% of consumers have never shopped around. Illinois drivers can save hundreds of dollars each year, but they think it’s difficult to compare rates and save money.
Insurance companies such as GEICO, 21st Century and Progressive all claim big savings, bombarding you with advertising and it is difficult to avoid their marketing magic and effectively compare rates to find the best deal.
Consumers need to do rate comparisons quite often due to the fact that insurance prices are adjusted regularly by insurance companies. Just because you found the best price on Mazda 2 insurance in Chicago a couple years back the chances are good that you can find a lower rate quote today. Block out anything you think you know about auto insurance because you’re about to find out the things you must know in order to eliminate unnecessary coverages and save money on Mazda 2 insurance in Chicago.
Just keep in mind that comparing more rates from different companies provides better odds of finding more affordable rates. Some regional insurers cannot provide online rate quotes, so it’s important to compare price estimates from the smaller companies as well.
The companies shown below provide free quotes in Illinois. If more than one company is shown, it’s highly recommended you visit as many as you can to get the most affordable price.
Save money with these premium slashing discounts
Car insurance companies don’t necessarily list all possible discounts very clearly, so the below list has some of the more common and also the more inconspicuous discounts that you can inquire about if you buy Chicago car insurance online.
- Own a Home – Simply owning a home may trigger a policy discount on car insurance since home ownership shows financial diligence.
- Low Mileage Discounts – Keeping the miles down on your Mazda can earn better premium rates on cars that stay parked.
- College Student Discount – College-age children who are enrolled in a college that is more than 100 miles from Chicago and do not have access to a covered vehicle could get you a discount.
- Save with More Vehicles Insured – Having multiple cars or trucks with the same company can reduce the rates for all insured vehicles.
- Responsible Driver Discount – Insureds who avoid accidents can pay as much as 50% less as compared to drivers with claims.
- Telematics Data Discounts – Chicago drivers who agree to allow their insurance company to look at driving manner by installing a telematics device such as Progressive’s Snapshot could see a rate decrease if they exhibit good driving behavior.
- Active Military Service – Being deployed with a military unit could mean lower car insurance rates.
- Savings for New Vehicles – Buying a new car instead of a used 2 may earn a small discount compared to insuring an older model.
Please keep in mind that many deductions do not apply to the whole policy. Most cut specific coverage prices like collision or personal injury protection. So even though it sounds like it’s possible to get free car insurance, companies wouldn’t make money that way.
Large car insurance companies and some of their more popular discounts can be read below.
- American Family has savings for Steer into Savings, mySafetyValet, multi-vehicle, defensive driver, and good student.
- Farm Bureau may offer discounts for safe driver, driver training, 55 and retired, renewal discount, multi-vehicle, good student, and youthful driver.
- State Farm may have discounts that include multiple policy, good driver, Steer Clear safe driver discount, defensive driving training, and passive restraint.
- Travelers may include discounts for payment discounts, save driver, good student, home ownership, early quote, and new car.
- The Hartford discounts include good student, vehicle fuel type, driver training, anti-theft, defensive driver, and bundle.
- GEICO offers discounts including five-year accident-free, anti-lock brakes, military active duty, anti-theft, and emergency military deployment.
- Progressive offers discounts for online signing, multi-vehicle, homeowner, good student, and online quote discount.
Check with all the companies how many discounts you can get. Some credits may not apply to policyholders in Chicago. If you would like to choose from a list of insurers that offer the discounts shown above in Chicago, click here.
Informed Consumers Can Slash Their Insurance Costs
Lots of factors are used in the calculation when you quote your car insurance policy. Some of the criteria are obvious like an MVR report, but others are not quite as obvious such as your marital status or how financially stable you are.
The factors shown below are a partial list of the pieces used by companies to determine your prices.
- Incidental coverages can waste money – Policies have add-on coverages that can waste your money if you aren’t careful. Insurance for replacement cost coverage, high-cost glass coverage, and extra life insurance coverage may be costing you every month. The coverages may be enticing initially, but your needs may have changed so remove them and pocket the money.
- Vocation can influence prices – Occupations such as fire fighters, architects and financial analysts generally have higher premium rates in part from job stress and long work hours. On the flip side, occupations like farmers, students and homemakers get better rates.
- File policy claims and pay more – If you frequently file small claims, you can pretty much guarantee either higher rates or even cancellation. Auto insurance companies in Illinois give lower rates to drivers who do not rely on their insurance for small claims. Your car insurance is intended for the bigger claims that can’t be paid out-of-pocket.
- Cars with good safety ratings cost less to insure – Safe vehicles are cheaper to insure. Vehicles built for safety reduce occupant injuries and any reduction in injury severity translates directly to fewer claims and lower rates for you. If your Mazda 2 scored better than an “acceptable” rating on the Insurance Institute for Highway Safety website or four stars on the National Highway Traffic Safety Administration website you are probably receiving a discount.
- Rates increase with driving citations – Drivers with clean records get better prices than their less careful counterparts. Just one moving violation can boost insurance rates by as much as twenty percent. Drivers who have careless violations such as DUI or willful reckless driving may find that they have to to file a SR-22 with their state motor vehicle department in order to keep their license.
- Defend yourself with liability insurance – The liability coverage on your policy kicks in when you are ruled to be at fault for damages caused by your negligence. It will provide legal defense to attempt to prove you were not liable. Liability is cheap when compared with rates for comp and collision, so buy as much as you can afford.
You may want advice from an insurance agency
Some people still like to visit with an insurance agent. One of the great benefits of getting online price quotes is the fact that you can find better rates and still have a local agent. Buying from and supporting local agencies is especially important in Chicago.
To make it easy to find an agent, after completing this form (opens in new window), your insurance data is immediately sent to companies in Chicago that provide free Chicago car insurance quotes to get your business. You never need to find an agent as quotes are delivered instantly to you. You can get cheaper insurance rates and a licensed agent to work with. If for some reason you want to get a rate quote from one company in particular, just jump over to their website and fill out the quote form the provide.
Insurance agent types
If you’re trying to find a reliable agent, it helps to know the two different types of agencies from which to choose. Insurance agents are either independent or exclusive.
Independent Agencies or Brokers
Independent agencies are normally appointed by many insurers so they can insure your vehicles amongst many companies and find you the best rates. To transfer your coverage to a different company, your agent can switch companies without you having to go to a different agency.
If you are comparing insurance prices, you definitely need to include rate quotes from a couple of independent agencies for the best price selection.
Shown below is a short list of independent agents in Chicago that may be able to give you free insurance quotes.
Exclusive Insurance Agents
Exclusive agencies have only one company to place business with and some examples include Farmers Insurance, State Farm, or Allstate. They usually cannot provide prices from multiple companies so if the price isn’t competitive there isn’t much they can do. They are highly trained on their products and sales techniques and that allows them to sell at a higher price point.
Below is a short list of exclusive insurance agents in Chicago willing to provide comparison quotes.
Choosing an insurance agent should include more criteria than just the premium amount. Any agent in Chicago should be forthright in answering these questions:
- Can glass claims be handled at your home?
- Is the agency active in community causes in Chicago?
- Can they give you a list of client referrals?
- In the event of vehicle damage, can you pick the collision repair facility?
- Is there a local claims center in Chicago?
- Do they have designations such as AIC, CPCU, or CIC?
- Is the quote a firm price?
- Can they help ensure a fair claim settlement?
Do insurance companies bend the truth?
Well-known insurance companies like 21st Century, Allstate and State Farm endlessly run ads on television and other media. All the ads have a common claim of big savings if you change to their company. How is it possible that every company can sell you cheaper insurance coverage?
Insurance companies offer their best rates for the driver that earns them the highest profit. An example of a desirable insured might be over the age of 40, has a clear driving record, and does not commute to work. Any new insured that hits that “sweet spot” will get a cheap rate quote in Chicago and will save quite a bit of money when switching.
Insureds who don’t meet these standards will see a higher rate with the end result being the customer not purchasing. If you pay close attention to the ads, they say “customers that switch” not “everyone that quotes” will save that much if they switch. That’s the way companies can truthfully make those claims.
This really illustrates why you absolutely need to do a rate comparison at every renewal. It’s not possible to predict with any certainty which company will provide you with the cheapest Mazda 2 insurance in Chicago.
Cheaper insurance premiums are out there
When buying insurance coverage, make sure you don’t reduce coverage to reduce premium. In too many instances, consumers will sacrifice full coverage and discovered at claim time that it was a big mistake. Your aim should be to buy enough coverage at the best possible price, but do not sacrifice coverage to save money.
Affordable Mazda 2 insurance in Chicago can be found both online in addition to local insurance agencies, and you should be comparing both to get a complete price analysis. A few companies do not offer online quoting and usually these regional insurance providers prefer to sell through independent insurance agents.
- Speed and Speed Limit FAQ (iihs.org)
- What Auto Insurance is Cheapest for Infrequent Drivers in Chicago? (FAQ)
- How Much is Chicago Auto Insurance for a 20 Year Old Female? (FAQ)
- Who Has Affordable Car Insurance Rates for a Hyundai Elantra in Chicago? (FAQ)
- Who Has the Cheapest Car Insurance Rates for a Nissan Sentra in Chicago? (FAQ)
- How Much are Chicago Auto Insurance Rates for Nurses? (FAQ)
- Teen Driver Licensing Information (iihs.org)
- Get the Right Protection (InsureUonline.org)
- Uninsured Motorists: Threats on the Road (Insurance Information Institute)