Finding low-cost insurance for a new or used Dodge Journey in Illinois can normally be difficult, but you can learn the following methods to save time. There are both good and bad ways to find auto insurance online and we’ll show you the quickest way to compare rates on a Dodge and locate the lowest possible price either online or from Chicago insurance agents.
The best way to compare car insurance company rates for Dodge Journey insurance in Chicago is to take advantage of the fact most of the larger companies allow for online access to give free rates quotes. The only thing you need to do is provide a little information such as whether you drive to work or school, your occupation, the year, make and model of vehicles, and how much school you completed. The rating information is instantly sent to all major companies and you receive quotes quickly.
To check Dodge Journey insurance prices now, click here and find out if you can get cheaper insurance in Chicago.
The following companies provide price quotes in Chicago, IL. If the list has multiple companies, we suggest you compare several of them to get the best price comparison.
|Model||Comp||Collision||Liability||Medical||UM/UIM||Annual Premium||Monthly Premium|
|Journey SE 2WD||$160||$260||$316||$18||$94||$848||$71|
|Journey SXT 2WD||$142||$268||$274||$16||$82||$782||$65|
|Journey R/T 2WD||$218||$418||$294||$18||$88||$1,036||$86|
|Journey SXT Crew 2WD||$218||$398||$274||$16||$82||$988||$82|
|Journey SXT AWD||$196||$334||$274||$16||$82||$902||$75|
|Journey R/T AWD||$196||$392||$294||$18||$88||$988||$82|
|Journey SXT Crew AWD||$168||$298||$268||$16||$80||$830||$69|
|Get Your Own Custom Quote Go|
Table data assumes married male driver age 40, no speeding tickets, no at-fault accidents, $500 deductibles, and Illinois minimum liability limits. Discounts applied include safe-driver, multi-policy, claim-free, multi-vehicle, and homeowner. Estimates do not factor in your specific Chicago location which can decrease or increase premiums greatly.
Dodge Journey insurance premiums by gender and age
The example below illustrates the comparison of Dodge Journey insurance prices for male and female drivers. The premiums are based on a clean driving record, no at-fault accidents, comp and collision included, $500 deductibles, drivers are single, and no discounts are applied.
Cost of full coverage in Chicago
The illustration below shows the difference between Dodge Journey insurance premiums with full coverage compared to only the Illinois minimum liability coverage. The price estimates are based on no claims or driving violations, $100 deductibles, single female driver, and no additional discounts are factored in.
Should you pay for full coverage or liability only?
There is no clear-cut formula of when to stop paying for physical damage coverage on your policy, but there is a general guideline. If the annual cost of having full coverage is more than about 10% of the replacement cost of your vehicle minus the policy deductible, then it might be time to buy liability only.
For example, let’s say your Dodge Journey replacement value is $3,000 and you have $1,000 full coverage deductibles. If your vehicle is totaled, you would only receive $2,000 after you pay the deductible. If it’s costing you more than $200 annually for full coverage, then it’s probably a good time to buy liability coverage only.
There are some scenarios where dropping physical damage coverage is not a good idea. If you still owe money on your vehicle, you have to carry full coverage as part of the loan conditions. Also, if your finances do not allow you to purchase a different vehicle if your current one is in an accident, you should not opt for liability only.
Illustration showing the impact of accidents and violations
The diagram below shows how traffic citations and accidents influence Dodge Journey premium costs for different insured age categories. The rates are based on a single male driver, comp and collision included, $1,000 deductibles, and no additional discounts are factored in.
Three main reasons to buy car insurance
Despite the fact that car insurance is not cheap in Chicago, maintaining insurance is required in Illinois but also provides important benefits.
- Most states have mandatory insurance requirements which means you are required to buy a specific level of liability coverage in order to drive the car. In Illinois these limits are 20/40/15 which means you must have $20,000 of bodily injury coverage per person, $40,000 of bodily injury coverage per accident, and $15,000 of property damage coverage.
- If you took out a loan on your Dodge Journey, more than likely the lender will have a requirement that you buy insurance to ensure loan repayment if the vehicle is totalled. If you default on your policy, the bank or lender will purchase a policy for your Dodge for a lot more money and force you to reimburse them for the expensive policy.
- Car insurance protects not only your Dodge Journey but also your financial assets. It will also provide coverage for hospital and medical expenses for you, your passengers, and anyone else injured in an accident. As part of your policy, liability insurance will also pay to defend you if you are sued as the result of your driving. If your car is damaged in a storm or accident, collision and comprehensive coverages will pay to restore your vehicle to like-new condition.
The benefits of carrying enough insurance more than offset the price you pay, particularly if you ever have a claim. Despite what companies tell you, the average driver is currently overpaying as much as $865 each year so compare rate quotes at every renewal to ensure rates are inline.
Cheaper Dodge Journey insurance in Chicago
Insurance can cost an arm and a leg, but you might already qualify for some discounts to help bring down the price. A few discounts will automatically apply at the time you complete a quote, but once in a while a discount must be specially asked for before you will receive the discount.
- Senior Citizens – Seniors may receive reduced rates.
- Passive Restraint Discount – Factory options such as air bags may get savings as much as 30%.
- Data Collection Discounts – Chicago drivers who agree to allow driving data collection to look at where and when they drive by using a telematics device in their vehicle such as Allstate’s Drivewise and State Farm’s In-Drive system may get a rate reduction if they exhibit good driving behavior.
- Save with More Vehicles Insured – Buying a policy with all your vehicles on one policy qualifies for this discount.
- ABS Brakes – Vehicles that have anti-lock braking systems can stop better under adverse conditions and the ABS can save up to 10%.
- No Accidents – Good drivers with no accidents have much lower rates when compared with bad drivers.
- Buy New and Save – Buying a new car instead of a used Journey can save you some money because new vehicles have to meet stringent safety requirements.
- Seat Belts Save – Drivers who require all occupants to wear their seat belts can save up to 10 percent (depending on the company) on medical payment and PIP coverage.
- Switch and Save Discount – Some companies provide a discount for switching policies prior to your current Journey insurance policy expiring. Ten percent is about the average savings.
- Military Discounts – Having a family member in the military could trigger a small discount.
While discounts sound great, it’s important to understand that most credits do not apply to the entire cost. The majority will only reduce the price of certain insurance coverages like collision or personal injury protection. So despite the fact that it appears adding up those discounts means a free policy, that’s just not realistic. But all discounts will positively reduce the cost of your policy.
If you would like to choose from a list of companies who offer free Dodge Journey insurance quotes in Illinois, click here.
Local neighborhood insurance agents
Some consumers still like to buy from a local agent and that can be a great decision Good agents are trained risk managers and help in the event of a claim. An additional benefit of getting online price quotes is you may find cheap rate quotes and still choose a local agent.
To help locate an agent, after submitting this form (opens in new window), your coverage information gets sent to local insurance agents who will return price quotes for your business. It makes it easy because there is no need to leave your computer as quotes are delivered immediately to you. If for some reason you want to quote rates from a specific company, you would need to visit that company’s website and give them your coverage information.
Selecting a company is decision based upon more than just a low price. Any good agent in Chicago should know the answers to these questions.
- Do the coverages you’re quoting properly cover your vehicle?
- Will the agent help in case of a claim?
- What discounts might you be missing?
- Which insurance company do they prefer to write with?
- Are they actively involved in the community?
Upon getting good feedback to all your questions as well as an affordable premium quote, it’s possible that you found an insurer that is reliable enough to provide insurance coverage. Just understand that you are entitled to cancel coverage any time you want so don’t feel you’re contractually obligated to any specific company for the entire policy term.
Auto insurance coverage information
Having a good grasp of a car insurance policy aids in choosing the right coverages for your vehicles. Policy terminology can be difficult to understand and reading a policy is terribly boring.
Coverage for liability – This coverage can cover damage that occurs to a person or their property that is your fault. Split limit liability has three limits of coverage: bodily injury for each person injured, bodily injury for the entire accident and a property damage limit. You commonly see policy limits of 20/40/15 that means you have a limit of $20,000 per injured person, a total of $40,000 of bodily injury coverage per accident, and property damage coverage for $15,000.
Liability coverage protects against things such as repair costs for stationary objects, loss of income and emergency aid. The amount of liability coverage you purchase is a personal decision, but consider buying higher limits if possible. Illinois state minimum liability requirements are 20/40/15 but you should consider buying more liability than the minimum.
Comprehensive car insurance – Comprehensive insurance coverage will pay to fix damage that is not covered by collision coverage. You first have to pay a deductible then the remaining damage will be covered by your comprehensive coverage.
Comprehensive insurance covers things like damage from flooding, fire damage, a tree branch falling on your vehicle and damage from getting keyed. The maximum amount a car insurance company will pay at claim time is the market value of your vehicle, so if your deductible is as high as the vehicle’s value it’s not worth carrying full coverage.
Collision – Collision insurance pays for damage to your Journey resulting from a collision with a stationary object or other vehicle. You will need to pay your deductible then your collision coverage will kick in.
Collision coverage protects against things such as sideswiping another vehicle, crashing into a ditch, colliding with a tree and driving through your garage door. Collision is rather expensive coverage, so consider removing coverage from lower value vehicles. It’s also possible to choose a higher deductible on your Journey to bring the cost down.
Coverage for uninsured or underinsured drivers – This protects you and your vehicle when the “other guys” are uninsured or don’t have enough coverage. Covered losses include injuries to you and your family and damage to your Dodge Journey.
Due to the fact that many Illinois drivers only purchase the least amount of liability that is required (20/40/15), their limits can quickly be used up. For this reason, having high UM/UIM coverages should not be overlooked.
Coverage for medical expenses – Med pay and PIP coverage pay for expenses for things like chiropractic care, surgery, hospital visits and nursing services. The coverages can be used to cover expenses not covered by your health insurance plan or if you lack health insurance entirely. Medical payments and PIP cover both the driver and occupants as well as any family member struck as a pedestrian. PIP coverage is not available in all states but can be used in place of medical payments coverage
Smart consumers save more
Throughout this article, we presented some good ideas how you can get a better price on Dodge Journey insurance in Chicago. The most important thing to understand is the more rate quotes you have, the better your comparison will be. You may even find the lowest priced insurance comes from some of the smallest insurance companies.
Insureds change insurance companies for many reasons like unfair underwriting practices, denial of a claim, poor customer service or high prices. No matter why you want to switch, switching companies is less work than it seems.
As you quote Chicago car insurance, it’s a bad idea to buy lower coverage limits just to save a few bucks. There are a lot of situations where someone dropped full coverage and found out when filing a claim that it was a big mistake. Your goal should be to buy a smart amount of coverage for the lowest cost while still protecting your assets.
Helpful learning opportunities
- How Much Auto Coverage do I Need? (Insurance Information Institute)
- Who Has Cheap Car Insurance Quotes for Uninsured Drivers in Chicago? (FAQ)
- Who Has the Cheapest Car Insurance Rates for a Nissan Sentra in Chicago? (FAQ)
- Understanding Your Insurance Deductible (Insurance Information Institute)
- Five Mistakes to Avoid (Insurance Information Institute)