Trying to find the cheapest insurance for a Ford Explorer in Illinois can normally be a painful process, but you can use a few tricks to find lower rates.
There is a better way to find insurance online and you need to know the quickest way to price shop coverage for a new or used Ford and obtain the cheapest rates from Chicago insurance agents and online providers.
It’s smart to take a look at other company’s rates periodically since insurance prices are variable and change quite frequently. Just because you found the lowest rate on Ford Explorer insurance in Chicago at your last renewal other companies may now be cheaper. Forget all the misinformation about insurance because we’re going to demonstrate the fastest way to find better coverage on Ford Explorer insurance in Chicago at a better price.
Getting quotes for the lowest-priced coverage in Chicago is easy to do. If you’re already insured or need new coverage, follow these tips to cut your premiums and still get good coverage. Vehicle owners just have to learn the tricks to compare prices online.
The following companies offer free rate quotes in Chicago, IL. If more than one company is shown, it’s a good idea that you visit two to three different companies in order to find the lowest rates.
|Model||Comp||Collision||Liability||Medical||UM/UIM||Annual Premium||Monthly Premium|
|Explorer XLT 2WD||$196||$274||$266||$16||$80||$832||$69|
|Explorer Eddie Bauer 2WD||$158||$254||$340||$20||$102||$874||$73|
|Explorer XLT 4WD||$182||$278||$352||$20||$106||$938||$78|
|Explorer XLT AWD||$174||$274||$294||$18||$88||$848||$71|
|Explorer Eddie Bauer 4WD||$290||$406||$342||$20||$102||$1,160||$97|
|Explorer Eddie Bauer AWD||$254||$406||$262||$16||$78||$1,016||$85|
|Explorer Limited 2WD||$128||$196||$268||$16||$80||$688||$57|
|Explorer Limited 4WD||$218||$384||$340||$20||$102||$1,064||$89|
|Explorer Limited AWD||$120||$210||$294||$18||$88||$730||$61|
|Get Your Own Custom Quote Go|
Table data assumes single female driver age 50, no speeding tickets, no at-fault accidents, $1,000 deductibles, and Illinois minimum liability limits. Discounts applied include claim-free, multi-policy, homeowner, multi-vehicle, and safe-driver. Table data does not factor in zip code location which can revise auto insurance rates significantly.
Comparison of policy deductibles
The information below shows how choosing a deductible and can affect Ford Explorer annual premium costs for different age categories. The information is based on a single female driver, full coverage, and no policy discounts are applied.
Ford Explorer insurance premiums by gender
The illustration below illustrates the difference between Ford Explorer insurance prices for male and female drivers. The rates are based on a clean driving record, no claims, comp and collision included, $1,000 deductibles, drivers are not married, and no discounts are applied.
Impact of violations and accidents on rates in Chicago
The information below illustrates how speeding tickets and accident claims influence Ford Explorer car insurance rates for different age groups. The price estimates are based on a married male driver, full coverage, $250 deductibles, and no other discounts are factored in.
Auto insurance protects more than just your car
Even though it can be expensive, paying for auto insurance may be required for several reasons.
- Almost all states have minimum mandated liability insurance limits which means you are required to buy specific minimum amounts of liability in order to be legal. In Illinois these limits are 20/40/15 which means you must have $20,000 of bodily injury coverage per person, $40,000 of bodily injury coverage per accident, and $15,000 of property damage coverage.
- If you have a loan on your Ford, it’s guaranteed your bank will require that you have insurance to ensure the loan is repaid in case of a total loss. If you cancel or allow the policy to lapse, the lender may insure your Ford at a much higher premium rate and require you to fork over a much higher amount than you were paying before.
- Auto insurance preserves not only your Ford but also your assets. It will also reimburse you for many types of medical costs incurred in an accident. Liability insurance will also pay for a defense attorney if you are sued as the result of an accident. If your car is damaged in a storm or accident, collision and comprehensive (also known as other-than-collision) coverage will pay to restore your vehicle to like-new condition.
The benefits of carrying enough insurance are definitely more than the cost, particularly for liability claims. But the average American driver is overpaying more than $855 a year so it’s recommended you shop around at every renewal to ensure rates are inline.
Earn discounts on Chicago car insurance
Insurance can cost an arm and a leg, but discounts can save money and there are some available that could help you make your next renewal payment. Certain reductions will be credited when you purchase, but occasionally some discounts must be specially asked for prior to receiving the credit.
- Onboard Data Collection – Chicago drivers who agree to allow data collection to scrutinize where and when they drive by installing a telematics device such as Drivewise from Allstate or Snapshot from Progressive might see lower rates if their driving habits are good.
- Air Bag Discount – Vehicles equipped with air bags or motorized seat belts may qualify for discounts of 25 to 30%.
- Pay Upfront and Save – If you pay your bill all at once instead of making monthly payments you can avoid the installment charge.
- Multiple Cars – Drivers who insure multiple cars on the same car insurance policy can get a discount on all vehicles.
- Student Driver Training – Make teen driver coverage more affordable by requiring them to participate in a local driver’s education class if it’s offered in school.
- E-sign – A few larger companies will provide an incentive for completing your application on the internet.
It’s important to note that some of the credits will not apply to all coverage premiums. Most only apply to specific coverage prices like comprehensive or collision. So even though you would think you could get a free car insurance policy, it’s just not the way it works.
Larger car insurance companies and their offered discounts are shown below.
- GEICO has savings for multi-vehicle, air bags, five-year accident-free, good student, and anti-theft.
- MetLife may have discounts that include accident-free, claim-free, good student, multi-policy, and good driver.
- Progressive includes discounts for homeowner, good student, online signing, multi-policy, online quote discount, multi-vehicle, and continuous coverage.
- Travelers offers discounts for save driver, multi-policy, home ownership, early quote, and hybrid/electric vehicle.
- SAFECO policyholders can earn discounts including homeowner, teen safe driver, bundle discounts, anti-lock brakes, and accident prevention training.
- AAA offers premium reductions for pay-in-full, AAA membership discount, education and occupation, good student, multi-policy, and good driver.
If you need the cheapest Ford Explorer rate quotes, ask all the companies the best way to save money. Depending on the company, some discounts may not be offered in your area. To view car insurance companies that have a full spectrum of discounts in Chicago, click here to view.
Auto insurance agents are trained to help
A small number of people would rather sit down and talk to an agent and that is a personal choice. Good agents can answer important questions and help submit paperwork. One of the great benefits of comparing insurance online is the fact that drivers can get the best rates but still work with a licensed agent. Supporting small agencies is important especially in Chicago.
By using this simple form, your insurance data is emailed to insurance agents in Chicago that give free quotes for your business. You won’t need to do any legwork due to the fact that quote results will go immediately to your email address. If you need to get a comparison quote from a specific insurance company, don’t hesitate to search and find their rate quote page and submit a quote form there.
Independent or Exclusive: It’s your choice
If you would like to find a reliable insurance agent, it helps to know the two types of agencies and how they can service your needs differently. Agents in Chicago are considered either independent (non-exclusive) or exclusive. Both write insurance policies, but it’s important to know how they differ because it can impact your agent selection.
Independent Agents (or Brokers)
These agents can quote rates with many companies and that allows them to write policies through many companies enabling the ability to shop coverage around. If your agent finds better pricing, the business is moved internally and you don’t have to do anything.
If you need lower rates, you will definitely want to get several quotes from at least one independent agent to ensure the widest selection of prices. Most independent agents also contract with mutual insurance companies that may provide cheaper insurance rates.
Listed below is a short list of independent agencies in Chicago that may be able to provide free price quotes.
- Beyer Insurance Agency
35 E Upper Wacker Dr #1730 – Chicago, IL 60601 – (312) 922-5300 – View Map
- KSA Insurance Agency
7158 W Grand Ave – Chicago, IL 60707 – (773) 804-9000 – View Map
- Illinois Vehicle Auto Insurance
100 W. Randolph, Suite C14 – Chicago, IL 60601 – (312) 201-9111 – View Map
Exclusive Insurance Agents
These agents are contracted to one company and examples are Farmers Insurance and State Farm. Exclusive agents are unable to place coverage with different providers so they have no alternatives for high prices. Exclusive agents are well schooled in insurance sales which helps offset the inability to provide other markets. Many people use the same exclusive agent partially due to the prominence of the brand and strong financial ratings.
Listed below are Chicago exclusive agencies who can help you get price quotes.
- Mike Matkowskyj – State Farm Insurance Agent
2452 W Chicago Ave – Chicago, IL 60622 – (773) 486-4444 – View Map
- Bill Dillard – State Farm Insurance Agent
516 W Diversey Pkwy – Chicago, IL 60614 – (773) 549-2605 – View Map
- Allstate Insurance: Maribel Marron
3060 W Armitage Ave – Chicago, IL 60647 – (773) 572-9495 – View Map
Finding a good car insurance agent needs to be determined by more than just the quoted price. Any agent in Chicago should have no problem answering these questions:
- Will one accident increase rates?
- Are glass claims handled on-site or do you have to take your vehicle to a repair shop?
- Will a damage claim use OEM or aftermarket replacement parts?
- Are claim adjusters local or do you have to take your car somewhere else?
- Do the coverages you’re quoting properly cover your vehicle?
- Will the quote change when the policy is issued?
Which is the best car insurance?
When it comes to your policy for your vehicles, there really is no one size fits all plan. Your needs are unique to you.
For instance, these questions may help highlight if your situation may require specific advice.
- What does roadside assistance cover?
- Am I missing any policy discounts?
- Should I drop comprehensive coverage on older vehicles?
- How much liability do I need to cover my assets?
- Do I have newly-aquired coverage?
- Are my friends covered when driving my car?
- Are combined or split liability limits better?
- When would I need rental car insurance?
- Am I covered if I break a side mirror?
- Is pet coverage available?
If it’s difficult to answer those questions, you may need to chat with an insurance agent. If you want to speak to an agent in your area, simply complete this short form. It only takes a few minutes and can provide invaluable advice.
Coverages available on your auto insurance policy
Having a good grasp of your policy aids in choosing the best coverages for your vehicles. Policy terminology can be ambiguous and even agents have difficulty translating policy wording.
Coverage for liability
This will cover injuries or damage you cause to people or other property by causing an accident. It consists of three limits, bodily injury for each person, bodily injury for the entire accident, and a limit for property damage. Your policy might show policy limits of 20/40/15 that means you have $20,000 bodily injury coverage, a total of $40,000 of bodily injury coverage per accident, and property damage coverage for $15,000. Occasionally you may see a combined limit which provides one coverage limit rather than limiting it on a per person basis.
Liability can pay for claims like repair bills for other people’s vehicles, medical expenses, legal defense fees and court costs. How much liability should you purchase? That is a personal decision, but it’s cheap coverage so purchase as high a limit as you can afford. Illinois requires minimum liability limits of 20/40/15 but it’s recommended drivers buy more coverage.
Comprehensive coverage (or Other than Collision)
Comprehensive insurance pays for damage caused by mother nature, theft, vandalism and other events. A deductible will apply then the remaining damage will be covered by your comprehensive coverage.
Comprehensive coverage pays for things such as fire damage, rock chips in glass, falling objects and hitting a bird. The maximum amount you’ll receive from a claim is the market value of your vehicle, so if it’s not worth much more than your deductible consider removing comprehensive coverage.
Insurance for medical payments
Personal Injury Protection (PIP) and medical payments coverage provide coverage for short-term medical expenses such as pain medications, prosthetic devices, rehabilitation expenses and hospital visits. The coverages can be used in conjunction with a health insurance policy or if there is no health insurance coverage. It covers not only the driver but also the vehicle occupants and also covers being hit by a car walking across the street. PIP is not an option in every state but can be used in place of medical payments coverage
This coverage will pay to fix damage to your Explorer caused by collision with another vehicle or an object, but not an animal. A deductible applies and the rest of the damage will be paid by collision coverage.
Collision insurance covers claims like sideswiping another vehicle, sustaining damage from a pot hole and colliding with another moving vehicle. Collision is rather expensive coverage, so consider dropping it from lower value vehicles. Another option is to increase the deductible on your Explorer in order to get cheaper collision rates.
Uninsured Motorist or Underinsured Motorist insurance
Uninsured or Underinsured Motorist coverage gives you protection when the “other guys” do not carry enough liability coverage. It can pay for medical payments for you and your occupants as well as your vehicle’s damage.
Due to the fact that many Illinois drivers carry very low liability coverage limits (which is 20/40/15), their limits can quickly be used up. That’s why carrying high Uninsured/Underinsured Motorist coverage is a good idea. Normally the UM/UIM limits are identical to your policy’s liability coverage.
How much can you save?
A few companies do not provide the ability to get quotes online and these small, regional companies provide coverage only through independent agents. Cost effective Ford Explorer insurance is possible online as well as from independent agents in Chicago, so you should be comparing quotes from both to have the best selection.
People leave their current company for a variety of reasons including delays in paying claims, extreme rates for teen drivers, policy cancellation and delays in responding to claim requests. Regardless of your reason, finding a great new company can be pretty painless.
When trying to cut insurance costs, do not buy less coverage just to save a little money. In many cases, someone sacrificed liability coverage limits and discovered at claim time that the few dollars in savings costed them thousands. Your objective should be to get the best coverage possible at an affordable rate and still be able to protect your assets.
Additional detailed information can be read by following these links:
- What is Covered by an Auto Insurance Policy? (Insurance Information Institute)
- How Much are Chicago Auto Insurance Quotes for Used Cars? (FAQ)
- Who Has Affordable Car Insurance Rates for a Hyundai Elantra in Chicago? (FAQ)
- Who Has Affordable Chicago Auto Insurance for Drivers with Good Credit? (FAQ)
- Tread Depth and Tire Safety (State Farm)
- A Tree Fell on Your Car: Now What? (Allstate)
- Automakers compete to add autobraking (Insurance Institute for Highway Safety)